We’re holding open auditions for
By Charles Morey
Audition time & date
Tuesday 9th January, 6:30 – 9:30pm
Call back: Wednesday 10th January, 6:30 to 9:30pm as required
How to register for Auditions:
- Download the Audition pack PDF for character descriptions, rehearsal schedule and important information about auditioning.
- Fill out the Audition registration form with your details to register.
- Prepare your audition piece (from the Audition Pack). We don’t need you to memorise it, but ask you to be familiar with the lines and very comfortable with your delivery.
He’s getting married in the morning, and the enterprising Figaro (servant, barber, professional troublemaker) couldn’t be happier. But with everybody scheming to come between him and his bride, Figaro will need all his cunning to make it down the aisle. This new adaptation of Beaumarchais’ comic masterpiece is not only hilariously funny, but has a razor sharp political edge.
FIGARO (Male) – 30’s to 40’s
Comic lead. The “trickster”; Very smart, very quick. A great heart and joy in life but a deep anger underneath at the aristocracy.
SUZANNE (Female) – 20’s to 30’s
Comic lead. Beautiful, smart, every bit a match for her fiancé, Figaro. Ideally Suzanne and the Countess will be close enough in size/ appearance that they can be mistaken for each other during the play.
COUNT ALMAVIVA (Male) – 40’s
Imposing, aristocratic and forceful. A lecher with a comedic twist. Ultimately not unlikeable.
COUNTESS ALMAVIVA (ROSINE) (Female) – 30’s to 40’s
Beautiful, aristocratic, but deeply saddened by her husband’s neglect. Smart and resourceful when she needs to be. Ideally Suzanne and the Countess will be close enough in size/appearance that they can be mistaken for each other during the play.
DOCTOR BARTHOLO (Male) – 50’s
Smart, arrogant and somewhat aloof.
MARCELINE (Female) – 50’s
Faded. Somewhat slatternly. Strong willed. Will do almost anything to get what she wants.
FANCHETTE (Female) – Teens, early 20’s
Beautiful and sexy. About as smart as a rock. Utterly without guile.
Note: This is a smaller role but an incredibly funny one. NB: We would very much like to consider the person who gets the role of Fanchette to act as a production assistant, who would thus be at a great many rehearsals.
CHERUBIN / DOUBLEMAIN (Male) – early 20’s
- CHERUBIN: Very young and foolish, considers himself a great lover (must be OK with wearing a dress).
- DOUBLEMAIN: officious court clerk.
BAZILE / ANTONIO / BRIDOISON (Male) – 40’s to 50’s
- BAZILE: Officious, vain, self-absorbed, the private secretary to the Count, a little prissy.
- ANTONIO: the Count’s gardener, a comic drunk.
- BRIDOISON: slightly dim Justice with a significant speech impediment. (stutter).
Important information for actors
Rehearsals: Mon & Thurs nights (6:30-9:30pm), Sundays (usually 1-4pm, some evenings)
Show Dates: May 11th, 12th, 19th, 20th (matinee), 25th, 26th
If you are cast, it is expected of you to:
- Become a financial member of Growl Theatre. This covers insurance for our members.
- Commit fully to performances
- Attend the vast majority (if not all) rehearsals and arrive on time (usual times 6:30-9:30pm)
- Pitch in for all aspects of the production. As a community group, we sometimes ask our actors to help source props, costuming and help clean and tidy the hall.
Please sign up to our mailing list to be kept up to date with happenings at Growl.