Become a Volunteer
As a non-profit community theatre group, Growl Theatre is run entirely by volunteers. Our volunteers are drawn together by their shared passion for the performing arts and desire to entertain audiences in our community.
We hope that by volunteering to Growl Theatre, you will learn valuable skills, make great friendships and draw satisfaction from contributing to the cultural vibrancy of Brisbane.
Currently, we are looking for volunteers to help with:
- Set Construction – help build and paint set pieces
- Costuming – design costumes, source costume items online or from second hand shops, organize and maintain costumes
- Make-up/Hair – collaborate with Directors to create hair/makeup for the characters, apply stage make-up and style hair
- Sound and Lighting Technician – operate lighting and sound boards, help set up lights
- Stage Managers & Backstage Crew – move sets, ensure actors are ready for their cues, organise backstage and dressing rooms.
- Assistant Director – assist director in coordinating communication with cast and crew, able to multi-task and be very organized
- Props – a resourceful person to find or make props, set up prop table for shows
- Front of House (Tickets, Ushers and Bar) – greet and welcome patrons, sell tickets at the door, serve drinks
- Rehearsals are: Monday and Thursday evenings 6:30-9:30pm, and Sundays 1-4pm
- Performances are: Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons, and run over 3 consecutive weekends.
- Cast involvement: Rehearsal period usually runs for about 8 weeks, and usually 7 performances over 3 consecutive weekends. See days/times above.
- Crew involvement (stage crew, lighting/sound crew): Attend all tech/dress rehearsals in the 2 weeks before show, plus performances (7 shows over 3 weekends).
- Front of House involvement (Door, usher, bar): Attend FOH Working bee (Sunday before show starts), plus be able to volunteer for some/most performances. Starting at 6pm, or 12:30pm for matinee show.